Frozen Orb is an iconic skill that instantly awakens deep feelings of nostalgia in every Diablo II player out there. It’s quick, impactful and the explosions are very satisfying when played correctly. Very few builds incorporate the fantasy of a spellslinging Wizard as well as this one.
The last time LoD Frozen Orb did stand out was during Season 20 with the unrestricted Kanai's Cube from Forbidden Archives allowing players to incorporate at the same time Deathwish, Legacy Etched Sigil as well as Orb of Infinite Depth into the build in order to execute a specific channeling spellweaving playstyle.
In Season 22, Wizardspike got reworked and brought a new damage multiplier to Frozen Orb while the 4th Kanai's Cube Slot allowed the build to play Deathwish again. However, as its dedicated Delseres Magnum Opus (DMO) Set comes with Slow Time restrictions, inherent clunkyness and underwhelming tankyness, Legacy of Dreams stayed the setup of choice as it is tankier, allows for more flexibility on top of enabling Reverse Archon and even Shi Mizu's Haori setups.
This is an Area Damage (AD) build, since Frozen Orbs can and will proc it. The whole playstyle revolves around the precise use of Absolute Zero and Teleport, in order to unleash devastating icy explosions onto stacked enemies. This guide will show you the way to become a redoutable Frozen Orbs spellslinger!
High DPS ✔
Very Tanky ✔
Iconic Frozen Orb ✔
Rewards Good Gameplay ✔
❌ Difficult Execution
❌ Not Beginner Friendly
❌ Vulnerable to Crowd Control
❌ Little Room for Customization
- Unstable Scepter is our core Weapon providing us with a 450% separate damage multiplier and a second explosion for Frozen Orbs, nearly doubling our total damage.
- Triumvirate grants us a stacking 400% damage buff for a total 1,200% separate damage multiplier to Frozen Orb when using Signature Spells.
- Wizardspike provides another 350% separate damage multiplier on top of a 25% chance to cast an extra Frozen Orb when attacking.
- Squirt’s Necklace is a default inclusion for Wizards in any build due to their shield strength. Protecting our HP pool for a 100% global separate damage multiplier with continuously refreshing shields is a Wizard speciality.
- Ashnagarr's Blood Bracer to double our Shields, to ensure we keep the Squirt's Necklace 100% damage multiplier.
- Stone Gauntlets provide an outrageous amount of mitigation and their negative effect can be fully negated by Ice Climbers.
- Aquila Cuirass and Unity grant us two sources of 50% damage reduction.
- The Shame of Delsere helps us by increasing the Attack Speed and Resource generation of Signature Spells.
- Convention of Elements buffs our Frozen Orbs by a beefy 200% separate damage multiplier in Cold cycle.
- Halo of Karini is a core Wizard defensive item, providing us with a tremendous 80% damage reduction at the cost of using Storm Armor.
Global Stat Priorities
You want to stack damage stats wherever possible, especially Critical Hit Chance and Damage, Area Damage as well as Cold Damage and Arcane Orb Damage. The remaining options go to Attack Speed or Damage Range (Rings) and Defense or Resource Cost Reduction whenever you can fit it in. It is required to get Arcane Power on Critical Hit (APoC) on your Off-Hand in order to keep shooting Frozen Orbs, especially for Rift Guardian fights.
For toughness, like most Wizard setups, we take advantage of Galvanizing Ward and Magic Weapon Deflection to generate Shields based on our HP pool. This means Vitality and Life % are very important as they double dip into Shields. This is why we aim for a decent HP pool in Greater Rift Solo Push.
Crowd Control Reduction is an incredibly valuable secondary Affix to roll on both Rings, Amulet and Helmet as we are very sensitive to Hard Crowd Control effects and mitigating these will ease up our gameplay significantly. Make sure to get the Primary Affixes locked in before attempting to get CCR though.
- Keep up your Storm Armor for Halo of Karini buff at all times.
- Activate your Triumvirate bonus by using your Signature Spell (Spectral Blade) regularly.
- Pull enemies together with Black Hole to trap and stack them.
- Position yourself at the right distance to explode Frozen Orbs directly on top of the enemies.
- Play around the Convention of Elements cycle to maximize your damage.
Introduction by Chewingnom.
Guide by Rob & wudijo. Updated by Chewingnom.