The Carnevil build features a unique playstyle that revolves around Poison Dart being shot by hordes of Fetishes. It has been around for a long time, starting with Season 3 using Zunimassa's Haunt.
Unfortunately, this build fell completely out of relevance despite some buffs in Season 12 and 16 to Mask of Jeram and Carnevil. It is only with Season 17 buffing Carnevil and The Dagger of Darts that this build became one of the strongest Witch Doctor setups in the game.
While Carnevil is best used with its Zunimassa's Haunt Set, it can be played using Legacy of Dreams which allows for way more flexibility in terms of gearing and skill setup choices, at the cost of some power.
Even though the LoD setup is a true powerhouse for speedfarming, Legacy of Nightmares becomes mandatory for high endgame push and is one of the best setup to compete on the No Set leaderboard!
This build is an Area Damage (AD) build, since Fetishes, and most importantly Poison Darts they shoot, can proc it. This build develops a completely unique Pet playstyle with intriguing interactions (see Mechanics), where you need to manage your Fetishes very carefully to wreak havoc on your opponents. Positioning is absolutely critical as only the 10 Fetishes closest to you shoot a Poison Dart when you do, aiming where your cursor is. This guide will go over everything you need to know about those wild Dart-shooting Fetishes!
High Burst Damage ✔
Unique Pet Playstyle ✔
Great Attack Speed Scaling ✔
Rewards Excellent Gameplay ✔
❌ Difficult Execution
❌ Rarely Gets an Oculus Proc
❌ Vulnerable to Crowd Control
- The Dagger of Darts grants us 500% increased damage and allows Poison Darts to pierce targets.
- Carnevil is the core item that makes this build work as 10 of your Fetishes will now shoot a powerful Poison Dart whenever you do.
- Mask of Jeram increases all Pet damage by 200%. This effect is additive with Elemental damage on Bracers and Amulet.
- Depth Diggers gives us another 100% damage boost on our main skill Poison Dart.
- Stone Gauntlets provide an outrageous amount of mitigation and their negative effect can be fully negated by Ice Climbers.
- Lakumba's Ornament provides us with another 30% damage reduction with Soul Harvest Languish which already gives us 15% Intelligence and 50% Armor.
- Aquila Cuirass grants us an easy 50% damage reduction as we barely spend any Mana.
- Squirt's Necklace provides us with a damage multiplier as long as we are not getting hit. We adopt a ranged playstyle and use Fetishes as meat shields to protect us.
- Convention of Elements is another separate damage multiplier, giving you triple damage for Poison Darts shot by Fetishes during your Poison cycle.
- The Witching Hour is used in every setup for the Attack Speed and Critical Hit Damage which are great offensive stats.
Global Stat Priorities
You want to stack damage stats wherever possible, especially Attack Speed, Critical Hit Chance and Damage as well as Fetish Army Damage and Poison Dart Damage. Area Damage works with Fetishes and is a good stat to focus on when you can. Poison Damage is always a decent damage stat but its value is significantly decreased due to Mask of Jeram being additive with Elemental Damage.
Make sure to focus on Attack Speed to reach a high Breakpoint. It is the most important stat to stack for this build as Fetishes with Carnevil benefit twice from it (see Mechanics).
Cooldown Reduction is not really needed as Grave Injustice will do all the work, especially with some Pickup Radius and Thing of the Deep. It is still a good defensive stat to get on items lacking good offensive options like Shoulders.
Crowd Control Reduction is an incredibly valuable secondary Affix to roll on both Rings, Amulet and Helmet as we are very sensitive to Hard Crowd Control effects and mitigating these will ease up our gameplay significantly. Make sure to get the Primary Affixes locked in before attempting to get CCR though.
- Build your army of Fetish Sycophants as soon as you can.
- Be very mindful about your positioning, your Fetishes position and where you are aiming Poison Dart.
- Pulling off the proper rotation around Convention of Elements generates a tremendous damage burst with Echoing Fury.
- Conquer Sanctuary with your deadly army of Dart-shooting Fetishes!
Guide by Chewingnom.