When Necromancers got released in Season 11, they instantly became the top dog on leaderboards using Corpse Lance, overshadowing pretty much every other skill the class had at its disposal. However, Necromancers have a wide panoply of skills with a strong identity, including other skills based around corpses, and among them the iconic Corpse Explosion!
When Season 21 introduced the new Masquerade of the Burning Carnival Set, players finally got a chance to play this skill at a competitive level, with Grasps of Essence being buffed. Due to Diablo III corpse mechanics (16 corpses limitation), this build revolves around Land of the Dead rotations to unleash devastating chain reactions on its opponents!
These days, the build is a strong contender to the LoD Poison Scythe for the No Set leaderboards. Anyways, if you like powerful all-around builds, massive explosions and seeing monsters' HP instantly drop from 100 to 0, you're in the right place. Let's go through how it works and show those demons who's boss!
Super Tanky ✔
Simple Rotation ✔
Insane AOE Damage ✔
Top Tier in Solo & Groups ✔
❌ Lacks Speed
❌ Requires Ancients
❌ Low Single Target Damage
❌ Downtime on Land of The Dead
- The Johnstone makes our next 50 Corpse Explosion casts do 200% increased damage after Land of the Dead expires.
- Grasps of Essence is our core item providing us with 1,000% increased damage to Corpse Explosion.
- Nayr's Black Death for up to 500% damage to Corpse Explosion when we use other Poison skills.
- Trag'Oul's Corroded Fang for another 200% separate damage multiplier and to apply Curses for Dayntee's Binding.
- Krysbin's Sentence grants us a 300% separate damage multiplier against enemies under Hard Crowd Controls like Freezes from Frozen Lands.
- Convention of Elements for 200% damage during our Poison cycle.
- Stone Gauntlets provide an outrageous amount of mitigation and their negative effect can be fully negated by Ice Climbers.
- Leoric's Crown helps us reaching our 48 second CDR Breakpoint on Land of the Dead with massive Cooldown Reduction.
- Aquila Cuirass for 50% damage reduction.
Global Stat Priorities
Our offensive priorities are: Cooldown Reduction > Poison Damage > Area Damage > Critical Hit Chance & Critical Hit Damage, along with as much Corpse Explosion Damage as possible. We get all the Attack Speed we need to slightly reduce the cast animation from Corpse Explosion from the guaranteed Krysbin's Sentence roll and the Enchantress' Focused Mind.
We're aiming for at least 50% Cooldown Reduction which allows us in conjunction with Blood is Power to reach the 48 second Breakpoint on Land of the Dead. This way we can detonate every fourth Convention of Elements Poison cycle.
- Level your Legacy of Dreams to 99 immediately and hunt for ancient items.
- Activate your Poison skills in order, stun with Bone Armor Dislocation on your Poison Convention of Elements cycle to activate Krysbin's Sentence and use Land of the Dead to cast Corpse Explosion to flatten enemies.
- Gather large groups of enemies and use Area Damage to climb the Leaderboards.
- Enjoy killing enemies with the corpses of their fallen comrades!
Town Is Lava!
Introduction by Chewingnom.
Guide by Raxxanterax with input from wudijo.