When Necromancers got released in Season 11, they instantly became the top dog on the leaderboards using Corpse Lance with the Trag'Oul's Avatar Set, overshadowing pretty much every other skill the class had at its disposal. However, Necromancers have many skills with a strong identity, including the iconic Corpse Explosion!
When Season 21 introduced the new Masquerade of the Burning Carnival Set and buffed Grasps of Essence, players finally got a chance to play this skill at a competitive level. Due to Diablo III corpse mechanics (16 corpses limitation), this build revolves around Land of the Dead rotations to unleash devastating chain reactions on its opponents!
These days with the addition of Set leaderboards in Season 23, it is one of the best setup to compete with on the No Set leaderboards, sharing the crown with LoD Scythe. In Season 24, this build became one of the top dog solo builds due to the Masquerade Bone Spear nerf and the exclusive Ethereals as well as the discovery of a Shi Mizu's Haori setup.
This build is an Area Damage (AD) build, since Corpse Explosion can proc it. This is further enhanced by The Johnstone in conjunction with other cooldown and rotation based damage multipliers, allowing for a disgusting damage burst under specific circumstances (see Mechanics). If you like powerful all-around builds, massive explosions and seeing monsters' HP instantly drop from 100 to 0, you're in the right place. Let's go through how it works and show those demons who's boss!
Very Tanky ✔
Simple Rotation ✔
Crazy Burst Damage ✔
❌ Low Mobility
❌ Gearing Difficulty
❌ Low Single Target Damage
❌ Heavy Cooldown Dependency
- The Johnstone makes our next 50 Corpse Explosion casts do 200% increased damage after Land of the Dead expires.
- Grasps of Essence is our core item providing us with 1,000% increased damage to Corpse Explosion.
- Nayr's Black Death for up to 500% damage to Corpse Explosion when we use other Poison skills.
- Trag'Oul's Corroded Fang for another 200% separate damage multiplier and to apply Curses for Dayntee's Binding.
- Krysbin's Sentence grants us a 300% separate damage multiplier against enemies under Hard Crowd Controls like Freezes from Frozen Lands.
- Convention of Elements for 200% damage during our Poison cycle.
- Stone Gauntlets provide an outrageous amount of mitigation and their negative effect can be fully negated by Ice Climbers.
- Leoric's Crown helps us reaching our 48 second CDR Breakpoint on Land of the Dead with massive Cooldown Reduction.
- Aquila Cuirass and Unity for two sources of 50% damage reduction.
Global Stat Priorities
Our offensive priorities are: Cooldown Reduction > Poison Damage > Area Damage > Critical Hit Chance & Critical Hit Damage, along with as much Corpse Explosion Damage as possible. We get all the Attack Speed we need to get a decent Corpse Explosion FPA Breakpoint from the guaranteed Krysbin's Sentence roll and the Enchantress' Focused Mind.
We're aiming for at least 53% Cooldown Reduction which allows us in conjunction with Blood is Power to reach the 48 second Breakpoint on Land of the Dead. This way we can detonate every fourth Convention of Elements Poison cycle.
Crowd Control Reduction is an incredibly valuable secondary Affix to roll on both Rings, Amulet and Helmet as we are very sensitive to Hard Crowd Control effects and mitigating these will ease up our gameplay significantly. Make sure to get the Primary Affixes locked in before attempting to get CCR though.
- Level your Legacy of Dreams to 99 immediately and hunt for ancient items.
- Activate your Poison skills in order, stun with Bone Armor Dislocation on your Poison Convention of Elements cycle to activate Krysbin's Sentence and use Land of the Dead to cast Corpse Explosion to flatten enemies.
- Gather large groups of enemies and use Area Damage to climb the Leaderboards.
- Enjoy killing enemies with the corpses of their fallen comrades!
Town Is Lava!
Introduction by Chewingnom.
Guide by Raxxanterax. Updated by wudijo & Chewingnom.