When Necromancers got released in Season 11, they instantly became the top dog on the leaderboards using Corpse Lance with the Trag'Oul's Avatar Set, overshadowing pretty much every other skill the class had at its disposal. However, Necromancers have many skills with a strong identity, including the iconic Corpse Explosion!
When Season 21 introduced the new Masquerade of the Burning Carnival Set and buffed Grasps of Essence, players finally got a chance to play this skill at a competitive level. But it is only when Season 23 added the Set leaderboards that Trag'Oul Corpse Explosion setup really got a chance to shine. These days, this is the go-to build to push on the Trag'Oul leaderboard.
Due to Diablo III corpse mechanics (16 corpse limitation), this build revolves around Land of the Dead rotations to unleash devastating chain reactions on its opponents!
This build is an Area Damage (AD) build, since Corpse Explosion can proc it. This is further enhanced by The Johnstone in conjunction with other cooldown and rotation based damage multipliers, allowing for a disgusting damage burst under specific circumstances (see Mechanics). If you like powerful all-around builds, massive explosions and seeing monsters' HP instantly drop from 100 to 0, you're in the right place. Let's go through how it works and show those demons who's boss!
Simple Rotation ✔
Crazy Burst Damage ✔
Rewards Good Gameplay ✔
❌ Low Mobility
❌ Rotation Playstyle
❌ Low Single Target Damage
❌ Heavy Cooldown Dependency
- Grace of Inarius grants us a 10,000% separate damage multiplier as well as up to 90% damage reduction through Bone Armor and Wisdom of Kalan.
- Grasps of Essence is our core item providing us with a 1,000% separate damage multiplier to Corpse Explosion.
- The Johnstone makes our next 50 Corpse Explosions do 200% more damage after our Land of the Dead ends.
- Nayr's Black Death provides us with an amazing 100% separate damage multiplier for every Poison skill we use.
- Krysbin's Sentence for the 300% damage increase against enemies under a Hard Crowd Control effect.
- Convention of Elements for 200% damage during our Poison cycle.
- Trag'Oul's Corroded Fang provides us with a 200% separate damage multiplier to Cursed enemies and procs our Dayntee's Binding.
Global Stat Priorities
You want to stack damage stats wherever possible, especially Cooldown Reduction, Attack Speed, Critical Hit Chance and Damage, Poison Damage along with as much Area Damage and Corpse Explosion Damage as possible.
Our first priority is to aim for at least 53% Cooldown Reduction which allows us in conjunction with Blood is Power and Gogok of Swiftness to reach the 48 second Breakpoint on Land of the Dead. This way we can detonate every fourth Convention of Elements Poison cycle.
Attack Speed is very important in order to maximize The Johnstone stacks efficiency by reaching an appropriate Corpse Explosion Breakpoint (see Mechanics). We focus on 1.88 Attack Speed to reach the 32 frames Breakpoint, allowing us to cast up to 7 Corpse Explosions during our Convention of Elements Poison cycle. We get that Attack Speed from 7% Attack Speed on the Weapon, Gogok of Swiftness, the guaranteed Krysbin's Sentence roll and the Enchantress' Focused Mind.
- Focus on obtaining the Grace of Inarius set and Corpse Explosion items first.
- Pull and gather large groups of enemies when Land of the Dead is on cooldown.
- When ready, use Land of the Dead to spam Corpse Explosion to flatten enemies!
- Enjoy killing enemies with the corpses of their fallen comrades!
Guide by Chewingnom.