The Charge Barbarian (cBarb) is a very mobile and area of effect heavy build due to the Vile Ward's mechanic. The build uses Furious Charge in combination with Standoff and Movement Speed bonuses to deal damage. It has been the most effective tactic available (META) to farm experience back in Patch 2.6.4 due to massive Movement Speed bonuses provided by supports. This is also a very fast paced-build for solo key farming and is one of the few Barb hybrid builds combining two Sets: Immortal King's Call (6) Bonus and The Legacy of Raekor (4) Bonus!
Very Mobile ✔
Easy to Gear ✔
Fast Paced Playstyle ✔
High Area of Effect Damage ✔
❌ Barely any Item Flexibility
❌ Low Single Target Damage
❌ Movement Speed Dependency
❌ Squishy without Band of Might
- Immortal King's Call (6) Bonus for the damage buff and cooldown reducing mechanics
- The Legacy of Raekor (4) Bonus to be able to permanently Furious Charge a single target as well as getting all runes with a and damage boost
- Ring of Royal Grandeur to get all the set bonuses we need
- Standoff for the crazy damage gain by the Movement Speed synergy which made this build viable for group play in the first place
- Vile Ward for crazy area of effect damage in good monster density
- Mortick's Brace mainly for the healing and toughness runes on Wrath of the Berserker
- Optional items are Squirt's Necklace , Focus & Restraint or Convention of Elements for multiplicative damage and Band of Might for toughness
Global Stat Priorities
You do not need to pay much attention to Cooldown or Attack Speed breakpoints for regular gameplay. The Immortal King's Call (6) Bonus in combination with the Spender Seismic Slam Rumble and the Generator Furious Charge Stamina for massive Fury gain allows you to reset your Wrath of the Berserker and Call of the Ancients cooldowns within seconds. For speed runs however it can make sense to go for around 40% total Cooldown Reduction for our Merciless Assault "breakpoints" where we get 2 seconds back per target hit. With 40% the actual Furious Charge cooldown is 6 seconds, which allows us to perma charge 3 or more monsters. On top of that our The Legacy of Raekor (4) Bonus allows us to perma charge a single target which means we can fight any number of enemies, except exactly two.
The main skill element and elemental damage bonus from your gear does not matter! Choose the element you have the best gear for (usually decided by the Amulet and Bracer slots). Make sure to adapt the Furious Charge rune accordingly to match your highest element. That means if you have Fire Damage on gear, use Battering Ram, for Cold use Cold Rush, for Lightning use Dreadnought and for Physical any other rune or the unruned Furious Charge.
A common misunderstanding by players is the urge to go for a Physical element due to Battle Rage Bloodshed procs. This is not necessary as Bloodshed does not double dip! That means the elemental damage applies only once on the Furious Charge damage instance. The Battle Rage Bloodshed is based on that first damage instance but is not enhanced by elemental damage again. For an in-depth explanation check our this guide!
- Fast moving high damage playstyle
- Slow on bosses but awesome for killing trash monsters in a group
- Decent speed farm options for Torments as well and speed Greater Rifts
- Almost infinite damage scaling potential with Vile Ward
Let us hope for Immortal King's Call (6) Bonus or a Standoff damage increase to further boost this build's AOE ability and make this build great again! One can always hope for next patch but meanwhile enjoy blasting, my fellow Barbarians!