The Gargantuan Witch Doctor is one of the classic pet builds in Diablo 3. As a master of voodoo and spirits, it's very laid back and easy to play. While Gargantuans are outclassed by other setups such as Spirit Barrage, Zombie Bears or Jade Harvester, they can still be used to successfully both in farming and pushing solo Greater Rifts.
While a few setups are possible for this, the best set to use is the Helltooth Harness for its massive 17,500% damage bonus to your Gargantuans. The best part about is: you won't have to rely on a single pet, but instead you will have three little Gargs through The Short Man's Finger that will decimate your foes! Just stay back, activate your buffs and enjoy the show. This makes this build ideal for console and newer players!
You can add even more meatshields with Summon Zombie Dogs to make things safer for yourself. With all these distractions surrounding you, enemies will be occupied with your pets more than you.
Since you only need two core skills and a few items alongside the set to make it work, you can experiment with other setups, especially for speedfarming lower content. This guide will show you what we believe is best for Nephalem and Greater Rifts alike!
Easy to play ✔
Great class fantasy ✔
Few buttons to press ✔
Has massive meatshields ✔
❌ Lacks speed
❌ Very small AoE
❌ Relies on borked Pet AI
❌ No match for META builds
- The Helltooth Harness set is the core of the build, giving 17,500% damage increase to your Gargantuans after using Wall of Death.
- Spite effectively adds the most important rune (Humongoid) to the setup, giving your Gargs cleave damage.
- The Short Man's Finger splits your Gargantuan into three, each dealing 750% of the original damage (for a total of 2,250% damage done).
- Mask of Jeram adds 200% damage bonus to your pets. This affix stacks additively with elemental damage rolls on your items.
- Tasker and Theo give 50% attack speed to your pets, adding another great bonus and allowing you to reach the right breakpoint.
- Lakumba's Ornament is a core defensive item for any Witch Doctor build, buffing Soul Harvest with extra damage reduction.
- Sacred Harvester is a great boost, adding an extra 15% Intelligence bonus to Soul Harvest and another 30% damage reduction when combined with the bracers (around +80% toughness).
Season 24 Ethereals
Ethereals are powerful rare weapons that can only be found during Season 24. They have incredible stats, a random Legendary power, and a free passive for your class. Read our Ethereal Mechanics Guide for full details on how they work and our Ethereal Farming Guide to learn how to acquire them. What you should prioritize on them is the following:
- The Legendary Power
This build optimally uses Sacred Harvester, Echoing Fury or The Furnace. We want our Ethereal to roll one of these powers so we can cube the other, but none of the are really required. We also want a good roll on our Legendary power if it has a range. For speed content it is always helpful to have Ethereals with Echoing Fury or In-geom powers, so keep those if you find them.
- The Ethereal Itself
There are 3 different weapons available to us, each with its own benefits:
- The Gidbinn - This is the weapon for the build. It gives a massive 200% multiplicative damage bonus to Voodoo Skills, which includes Gargantuan.
- Ghostflame and Arioc's Needle - These are better than normal Weapons but they're not giving 200% damage to Gargantuan, hence they are both tremendously weaker than The Gidbinn.
- The Ethereal Stat Rolls
Each Ethereal comes with its own fixed set of powerful affixes. While some have a static value, many have a wide stat range. This means the difference between good and bad rolls is significant and something you should look for.
- A Useful Passive
This is just icing on the cake because a fifth passive is not going to make or break your build. You're better off hunting for the things above. Check out the Passives section down below to see which ones you're looking for.
Global Stat Priorities
As this is a pet build, Gargantuan skill damage acts as a separate multiplier instead of being in the additive category, making that item affix stronger than usual. Rolling this on your offhand, chest and shoulders will be the main priority. On the other hand, Mask of Jeram's damage bonus counts into the same category as elemental damage, which makes this stat comparatively worse here than in most other builds. Your overall offensive stat priority will be: Critical Hit Damage > Gargantuan Damage > Critical Hit Chance > Area Damage > Attack Speed > Physical Damage > Intelligence. Defensively you want to go with Vitality > Armor > Elite Damage Reduction > All Resistance.
Contrary to most other pet builds in the game, there are only very few fixed breakpoints for Gargantuans, which depend on whether Tasker and Theo is equipped and Restless Giant is active. Attack Speed instead scales their damage done per hit. See the Mechanics section for more info.
- Summon your Gargantuan squad to protect you!
- Keep up Soul Harvest and Necrosis from Helltooth Harness up at all times.
- Position both enemies and your pets to maximize your DPS.
- Play around Endless Walk to gain the most damage out of it.
- Stay back and enjoy your Gargantuans mowing through your enemies!
While this build is not really top of the game right now, it's still quite good and decent enough if you are looking for a pet-focused playstyle.
Guide by wudijo with special help from Rob, reviewed by Northwar & Raxxanterax. Updates by wudijo.