The Gears of Dreadlands Hungering Arrow Demon Hunter has made its entry during Season 21 and immediately surged to the top of all builds in the game, especially in solo pushing. With excellent qualities in both speed and AoE damage abilities, it can be used in many versatile ways as a T16 farmer, Bounty hunter, Trash Killer in higher Tiers and as a DPS role in Speed Greater Rifts.
The build focuses on Strafe and Hungering Arrow to deal damage, which is done semi-automatically by hitting targets around you. The core of the build is the 4-piece bonus that will automatically fire your last used Primary whenever you hit an enemy with Strafe. This essentially allows you to deal most of your total damage while moving, making the build very mobile and useful for farming. The 2-piece bonus gives you a stacking Movement Speed and Damage buff, as displayed on your buff bar. This bonus stacks up to a total of 160% Movement Speed letting you literally fly through the rifts, while destroying everything in your path.
While it's theoretically possible to also play with some of the other Primary skills that the Demon Hunter has to offer (Grenade, Bolas, Entangling Shot, Evasive Fire), most of them lack proper legendary support to be an effective choice for DPS. Bolas can be used for some Torment 16 farming once you have optimized the setup very well, and theoretically outclass the Hungering Arrow version for that activity. Entangling Shot can be used in a solo pushing variant to increase your DPS output by weaving two different skills, but it's quite difficult to play.
The build and gameplay itself are easy to learn. However, when it comes to optimizing the setup to get the most out of it (especially in solo pushing), there are a lot of details and intricate mechanics to consider. Make sure to check out the Mechanics section below to catch all the important info.
Lots of cool variants ✔
Strong season starter ✔
Incredible AoE damage ✔
Versatile build for everything ✔
Very fast and smooth gameplay✔
❌ Has buggy mechanics
❌ Can feel squishy early on
❌ Pushing is quite RNG-heavy
❌ No direct targeting possible
❌ Problems with single targets
- Gears of Dreadlands set provides huge damage bonuses: x3 through the 2-piece, and x101 through the 6-piece, for a total of x303 damage with your Hungering Arrow. On top of that, the 4-piece bonus can also be counted as roughly a x2-2.5 multiplier due to effectively providing hidden extra Attack Speed. Finally, the set gives you 60% damage reduction and up to 160% Movement Speed while using Strafe.
- The Ninth Cirri Satchel is the key item of the build, adding 100% pierce chance to Hungering Arrow as well as an up to 600% multiplicative damage increase. This item alone is stronger than almost any other single legendary in the game, as the infinite pierces amount to another multiplier of x2-30 in AoE situations. The infinite pierces are what's responsible for the build being so good in High Tier pushing.
- Hunter's Wrath is another high-value DPS item, providing a 30% Attack Speed bonus to your Primaries (which makes keeping up Momentum stacks easier) as well as another 200% multiplicative damage bonus.
- Dawn can be either worn or cubed, depending on what you find and the variation you play. It will help you to reach permanent Vengeance uptime.
- Depth Diggers provide another 100% damage increase to Hungering Arrow.
- As long as you are not using a two-handed Weapon, you can generally use a Quiver or second Weapon interchangeably (while cubing the other). With perfect rolls on all your gear, dual wielding wins out by about 0.5%.
Global Stat Priorities
Especially important for almost any DH build is reaching permanent Vengeance uptime. This is achievable through the 65% Cooldown Reduction effect provided by Dawn and having 37% Cooldown Reduction on your character. What you will always use is the Flawless Royal Diamond in your helmet slot, 10% from Paragon Points and 8% rolled on your shoulders. The rest will typically be rolled on your weapons (especially if dual-wielding), or your Gloves + Quiver (if using one weapon). If you are wearing a Dawn and it has less than 64-63% on the legendary affix, you should consider adding a 4th Cooldown item to make up for it, as any lower will leave you with a significant gap.
This build uses specific Attack Speed breakpoints for optimal damage output depending on your weapon. Make sure to check the Mechanics section below to know what you are aiming for.
Aside from that, you want to stack damage stats wherever possible, especially Crit stats, Cold Damage, Hungering Arrow Damage, and lastly Area Damage (typically in this priority). For your defensive stats you just need to focus on increasing the raw toughness value. Since your recovery is based on percentage of your maximum life, there's no reason to prioritize mitigation over health pool. Physical Resistance is also extremely useful, as you will generally stand very close to your enemies and most of the incoming damage will be of that type. Because of that, you should always use Flawless Royal Diamond in your Chest and Pants sockets.
- Reach the necessary Cooldown Reduction for permanent Vengeance (37% with a perfect Dawn).
- Get the Momentum buff to 20 and keep it above 17 at all times by using your Hungering Arrow.
- Use Strafe the rest of the time to move and DPS.
- Activate your defensive/utility skills where necessary.
- Avoid wasting your time on single enemies or elites that don't die - your strength is AoE dps.
Guide by wudijo and Northwar
I hope you enjoyed this guide! Gears of Dreadlands is a great build for all kinds of purposes and skill levels, and if you're not familiar with it yet, just hop in and try it out!