Firebird's Finery has been one of the weakest and most clunky sets in the game for quite some time, having to juggle between three Fire abilities to benefit from its set bonuses. Comically enough, the strongest Firebird build iterations have been using non-Fire abilities! Yet, Firebird's Finery had its glory days of dominating the META as a Trash Killer from Season 12 to 15 using Meteor Star Pact alongside channeling multipliers like Deathwish.
Season 23 however brought us a complete rework of this set. Firebird's Finery always had a strong fantasy around the Phoenix theme with the (2) Bonus "rising from the ashes" cheat death and the Fire element with an Ignite DoT.
This new rework created a specific playstyle based around channeling Disintegrate to Ignite monsters and build Combustion stacks with the (4) Bonus. These stacks are then used to buff our Ignite DoT when hitting monsters with another Fire ability, on top of reducing our Teleport Cooldown. In Season 24, Ethereals and especially Wizardspike comforted Firebird in its position of strongest build in Diablo III.
This, however, comes at the price of not being able to benefit from the best way to scale our damage in density: Area Damage (AD) does not work with the Ignite DoT! As a result, we stack Cooldown Reduction and use Pets to maximize our hit count and the resulting Ignite DoT ticks. To get as many (6) Bonus Ignite procs as possible, this iteration utilizes Deathwish in conjunction with Mirror Images casting Flame Blades for us. Let's get into it!
High DPS ✔
Unique Playstyle ✔
Fast Paced Gameplay ✔
Easy to Get Starter Gear ✔
❌ Frustrating Pet AI
❌ Channeling Playstyle
❌ Scales Poorly with Density
❌ Vulnerable to Crowd Control
- The Firebird's Finery set provides 80% damage reduction to our character as well as a 5,000% damage multiplier and the central Ignite DoT mechanic.
- Deathwish is a staple for any channeling Wizard build, providing us with a 325% separate damage multiplier.
- Orb of Infinite Depth grants us a massive 80% damage reduction and a 40% separate damage multiplier when using Explosive Blast.
- Ring of Royal Grandeur allows us to complement Firebird's Finery with other sets such as Aughild's Authority and Captain Crimson's Trimmings.
- Captain Crimson's Trimmings provides us with 20% Cooldown Reduction and grants us damage and toughness based on our CDR and RCR.
- Jewelry Slots offer several options: Endless Walk and Convention of Elements are commonly used in push meanwhile the combination of Squirt's Necklace and Focus & Restraint can be used at higher paragon or for speed runs for more damage.
Season 24 Ethereals
Ethereals are powerful rare weapons that can only be found during Season 24. They have incredible stats, a random Legendary power, and a free passive for your class. Read our Ethereal Mechanics Guide for full details on how they work and our Ethereal Farming Guide to learn how to acquire them. What you should prioritize on them is the following:
- The Legendary Power
This build requires Deathwish and Orb of Infinite Depth to be functional. We need our Ethereal to roll one of these powers so we can cube the other. We also want a good roll on our Legendary power if it has a range. For speed content it is always helpful to have Ethereals with Echoing Fury, In-geom or Messerschmidt's Reaver powers, so keep those if you find them.
- The Ethereal Itself
There are 3 different weapons available to us, each with its own benefits:
- Wizardspike - This is the best Ethereal for this build due to its Damage Stacking special affix, especially in Greater Rift push eventhough its high Attack Speed does not benefit us. This is the one we absolutely want when we play as a Rift Guardian Killer.
- The Oculus - This Ethereal comes in a close second due to its high Arcane Power on Critical Hit and Elite Damage affixes if you can't get your hands on a Wizardspike, especially for speed content where its Damage Stacking mechanic is not important. It allows you to replace your APoC roll on your Off-Hand.
- Mang Song's Lesson - This is a great Ethereal for T16 farming and speed content. This is a Two-Handed Staff meaning we need to give up Aughild's Authority and get some Resource Cost Reduction (Shoulders and Gloves, Flawless Royal Topaz in Helmet, Astral Presence) in order to keep channeling Disintegrate without Arcane Power on Critical Hit (APoC) roll.
- The Ethereal Stat Rolls
Each Ethereal comes with its own fixed set of powerful affixes. While some have a static value, many have a wide stat range. This means the difference between good and bad rolls is significant and something you should look for.
- A Useful Passive
This is just icing on the cake because a fifth passive is not going to make or break your build. You're better off hunting for the things above. Check out the Passives section down below to see which ones you're looking for.
Global Stat Priorities
You want to stack damage stats wherever possible, especially Critical Hit Chance and Damage as well as Fire Damage. Area Damage is useless in this build (and actively avoided in groups including in Paragon Points). As this build only deals damage with Firebird's Finery (6) Bonus Ignite procs, Cooldown Reduction is our most important stat by a long shot in order to maximize Captain Crimson's Trimmings (3) Bonus. It is mandatory to get 4 Arcane Power on Critical Hit (APoC) on your Off-Hand in order to keep channeling Disintegrate for Deathwish, especially for Rift Guardian fights. Attack Speed is not useful as it doesn't scale Mirror Images Attack Rate or Ignite procs damage.
For toughness, we prioritize Vitality and Life % as Mirror Images HP pool is based on our HP pool. This is why we aim for around 1 million HP in Greater Rift Solo Push. The next priority would be Armor, mainly in Chest and Pants sockets using Flawless Royal Ruby if you feel too squishy.
Crowd Control Reduction is an incredibly valuable secondary Affix to roll on both Rings, Amulet and Helmet as we are very sensitive to Hard Crowd Control effects and mitigating these will ease up our gameplay significantly. Make sure to get the Primary Affixes locked in before attempting to get CCR though.
- Put together the core items and acquire the full Firebird's Finery set.
- Channel Disintegrate at the start of every Rift for damage reduction and infinite Teleports.
- Try not to get mad at Mirror Images running away!
- Hard Crowd Controls Effects are now your worst nightmare!
Guide by Chewingnom.