Firebird's Finery has been one of the weakest and most clunky sets in the game for quite some time, having to juggle between three Fire abilities to benefit from its set bonuses. Comically enough, the strongest Firebird build iterations have been using non-Fire abilities! Yet, Firebird's Finery had its glory days of dominating the META as a Trash Killer from Season 12 to 15 using Meteor Star Pact alongside channeling multipliers like Deathwish.
Patch 2.7.0 and Season 23, however, brought us a complete rework of this set. Firebird's Finery always had a strong fantasy around the Phoenix theme with the (2) Bonus "rising from the ashes" cheat death and the Fire element with an Ignite DoT.
But this new rework created a specific playstyle based around channeling Disintegrate to Ignite monsters and build Combustion stacks with the (4) Bonus. These stacks are then used to buff our Ignite DoT when hitting monsters with another Fire ability, on top of reducing our Teleport Cooldown.
This, however, comes at the price of not being able to benefit from the best way to scale our damage in density: Area Damage does not work with the Ignite DoT! As a result, we stack Attack Speed to maximize our hit count and the resulting Ignite DoT ticks. To get as many (6) Bonus Ignite procs as possible, this iteration utilizes Spectral Blade Flame Blades in combination with Fragment of Destiny and The Shame of Delsere to reach insane Attack Speed Breakpoints. This guide will explain everything there is to know for you to master this unique melee Wizard!
High DPS ✔
Melee Playstyle ✔
Fast Paced Gameplay ✔
Easy to Get Starter Gear ✔
❌ Hardcap DPS
❌ Sensitive to Breakpoints
❌ Scales Poorly with Density
❌ Vulnerable to Crowd Control
- The Firebird's Finery set provides 80% damage reduction to our character as well as a 5,000% damage multiplier and the central Ignite DoT mechanic.
- Orb of Infinite Depth grants us a massive 80% damage reduction and a 40% separate damage multiplier upon using Explosive Blast.
- Fragment of Destiny for its 50% separate Attack Speed multiplier to Spectral Blade, our main Ignite DoT proc ability. The Hydra effect is irrelevant.
- The Shame of Delsere for yet another 50% separate Attack Speed multiplier to Spectral Blade!
- Squirt's Necklace is a default inclusion for Wizards in any build due to their shield strength. Protecting our health pool for a 100% global separate damage multiplier with continuously refreshing shields is a Wizard speciality.
- Ashnagarr's Blood Bracer to double our Shields, to ensure we keep the Squirt's Necklace 100% damage multiplier.
Global Stat Priorities
You want to stack damage stats wherever possible, especially Critical Hit Chance and Damage as well as Fire Damage. Area Damage is completely useless in this build (and actively avoided in groups including in Paragon Points).
Since this build only deals damage with Firebird's Finery (6) Bonus Ignite procs, Increased Attack Speed is our most important stat by a long shot. Due to Fragment of Destiny and The Shame of Delsere granting us two 50% separate Attack Speed multipliers, we can reach the Spectral Blade Flame Blades 11 FPA Breakpoint with 52% Attack Speed. This requires us to get perfect Attack Speed on both Rings, Weapon and Gloves on top of Paragon Points, Gogok of Swiftness (or at least 5 bleeding targets with Pain Enhancer) and the 6% from the Enchantress' Focused Mind.
In regard to toughness, like most Wizard setups, we take advantage of Galvanizing Ward and Magic Weapon Deflection to generate Shields based on our HP pool. This means Vitality and Life % are very important as they double dip into Shields. This is why we aim for around 1 million HP in Greater Rift Solo Push. The next priority would be Armor wherever it is possible, mainly in Chest and Pants sockets using Flawless Royal Ruby if you feel too squishy.
Cooldown Reduction is only useful to ease up our Orb of Infinite Depth buff refresh through Explosive Blast Chain Reaction but we still want it for Captain Crimson's Trimmings (3) Bonus. Crowd Control Reduction is an incredibly valuable secondary Affix to roll on both Rings, Amulet and Helmet as we are very sensitive to Hard Crowd Control effects and mitigating these will ease up our gameplay significantly. Make sure to get the Primary Affixes locked in before attempting to get CCR though.
- Put together the core items and acquire the full Firebird's Finery set.
- Channel Disintegrate at the start of every Rift for damage reduction and infinite Teleports.
- Enjoy this very fast paced Wizard melee playstyle!
- Hard Crowd Control Effects are now your worst nightmare!
Guide by Chewingnom.