Almost completely forgotten and barely able to clear GR125, Bombardment Crusader received a whole bunch of buffs in Season 22 patch. Between reduced cooldown on Belt of the Trove, buffed damage on Armor of Akkhan and Norvald's Fervor sets, and separate multipliers added to The Mortal Drama and Belt of the Trove, the build's damage was buffed by approximately 33 Greater Rift tiers. As it turns out, a build that can clear GR158 (if it existed) solo is a tad overpowered. The build was nerfed before hitting live by approximately 10 tiers via Thorns of the Invoker adjustment.
Even with the nerf taken into account, Bombardment Crusader is the second best Crusader solo build. It also can be used as a GR150-capable trash clearer, although better options exist there.
Akkhan Invoker Bombardment Crusader is a Thorns build, which makes it very easy to get going, but at the same time leaves a lot of room for gear hunt. Getting all items in Ancient quality with Thorns secondary rolls on everything is no easy task.
This build utilizes at least 4 different sets: Armor of Akkhan, Thorns of the Invoker, Norvald's Fervor and Captain Crimson's Trimmings. Some versions of it can also include Bastions of Will set, making it the first Set-only build in history in Diablo III. So if you are worried about the environment, this is your chance: "Play green crusader—save the Earth!"
Lazy Playstyle Available ✔
Easy to Get Starter Gear ✔
Can do Everything on the Move ✔
❌ Invoker 2P is Clunky
❌ Cooldown Dependency
❌ Limited Control Over your Damage
❌ Wildly Inconsistent Damage vs Bosses
- The Armor of Akkhan set provides 50% damage reduction, 50% Resource Cost Reduction, 2,000% damage increase, and it lets us easily achieve 100% uptime on Akarat's Champion.
- Thorns of the Invoker (2) Bonus increases Thorns by up to 900%.
- Captain Crimson's Trimmings gives around 60% DPS, 20% Cooldown Reduction, which is necessary to reach our Breakpoints, and around 70% damage reduction.
- Norvald's Fervor set increases damage by 400% and lets us spam Steed Charge.
- Ring of Royal Grandeur allows us to get full bonuses from all these sets.
- The Mortal Drama doubles the number of Bombardment impacts and increases its damage by 500%.
- Belt of the Trove casts a free Bombardment every 4 seconds and increases its damage by another 500%.
Global Stat Priorities
This build has two different Cooldown Reduction Breakpoints. 55.8% is necessary to keep Akarat's Champion always active. This Breakpoint is critical for the build, without Akarat's Champion, you lose 95% of your damage and 85% of your toughness. The second Breakpoint is 59.3%, which is needed to cast Bombardment every 16 seconds, on every Physical cycle of Convention of Elements.
Make sure your defensive slots—Boots, Pants and Belt—have Vitality and Resistance to All Elements on them. Your DPS stats are: Physical Damage > Bombardment Damage > Area Damage > Thorns. Attack Speed is mostly useless as it only lets you stack Bane of the Stricken faster; you can get some in place of Strength at high Paragon. Critical Hit Chance & Damage are completely useless, because they don't affect Thorns damage.
- Reach 55.8% Cooldown Reduction before anything else
- Cast Bombardment on Physical Convention of Elements cycles
- Stack Area Damage, Physical Damage and Thorns
- The monsters go "poof"
Guide by Northwar.
Dropping barrels full of spikes on top of monsters seems a bit impolite, but hey, it works!