Resource Gathering in Diablo 4 is more straight forward compared to previous games in the franchise, but it's still critical for upgrading gear and creating items to help you slay demons! One of the many "ABCs" of Diablo 4 is Always Be Collecting as you can not trade to get more. This guide goes over each group of materials, where to find them, and where you are going to use them. Let's jump in!
All information in this article is from the Open Beta of Diablo 4 in March. The content presented here is subject to change, and will be updated as we learn more.
Herb Resource Gathering
Herbs are essential materials for many Quality of Life (QoL) items as you level, as well as endgame activities. They are used at the Alchemists for upgrading your Potion, crafting Elixirs & Incense, and a limited amount can be Refined into other materials as well. They can all be found in the world to varying degrees, Local Event Rewards, opening regular chests, as well rewards in caches for completing Side Quests.
- Gallowvine and Angelbreath are both found everywhere in the world. There is no restriction on where or how you can farm them.
- Fiend Rose is found exclusively in Zones that have been taken over by a Helltide. A Helltide event takes over several Zones of a single Region for the period of an hour. It is best to collect as much as possible when one is occurring.
- Howlers Moss, Biteberry, Reddamine, Blightshade, and Lifesbane are each found exclusively to a particular Region. Look out for new herb nodes as you traverse Sanctuary that are different from the ones you were picking up.
- Howlers Moss is found in Scosglen.
- Biteberry is found in Fractured Peaks.
- Reddamine is found in Dry Steppes.
- Blightshade is found in Hawezar.
- Lifesbane is found in Kehjistan.
Monster Parts Resource Gathering
Monster parts are secondary materials used with herbs at the Alchemists for upgrading your Potion, crafting Elixirs & Incense, and some can be Refined into other materials as well. They can all be found in the world to varying degrees. The main piece of information to remember is that these are monster specific, no Region/Zone. Note: safe and moderately dense monster areas in your travels to come back to if you ever run low on these resources.
- Demon's Heart is found from the corpses of Demons you kill.
- Paletongue is found from killing evil humans. Cannibals and Bandits come to mind.
- Grave Dust is found in the bodies, bones, or cerements of the Undead.
- Crushed Beast Bones are found from killing Beasts and Werecreatures.
Ore Resource Gathering
Ores are required for Upgrading your Jewelry at the Jeweler and Weapons at the Blacksmith. Doing so increases some of the stats on these pieces of gear, as well as increasing the damage range of your weapon. They can all be found in the world to varying degrees, opening regular chests, Local Event Rewards, as well as rewards in caches for completing Side Quests.
- Iron Chunk and Silver Ore are both found everywhere in the world in ore nodes, which are protruding chucks of rock coming up from the ground. There is no restriction on where or how you can farm them.
- Scattered Prism is a unique material that drops off of World Bosses. It is the only way you can add an additional socket to your gear or weapon by the Occultist. You have a 30-minute warning before a World Boss appears, so plan well, set a timer, and don't miss out on this valuable resource.
Skin Resource Gathering
Skins are materials used to Upgrade all armor pieces at the Blacksmith. Doing so increases some of the stats on these pieces of gear, as well as increasing the armor rating, too. They can all be found in the world to varying degrees, opening regular chests, Local Event Rewards, as well as rewards in caches for completing Side Quests. Just like monster parts, these drop off of monsters. Note: safe and moderately dense monster areas in your travels to come back to if you ever run low on these resources.
- Iron Rawhide and Superior Leather can be found off the same mobs in the world. Superior Leather is rarer and comes in smaller quantities.
- Resource gathering is important to do early and often for multiple reasons, especially for potion upgrades.
- Remember which materials are able to can be collected everywhere and which can not.
- Write down safe, monster dense areas to go if you run low on a particular material.
- Make time and set an alarm so you don't miss out on Helltide for Fiend Rose and World Bosses for a Scattered Prism.
- Be mindful of how many materials you have by clicking on the "Show Materials" tab on your character sheet.
Happy gathering, don't die while doing it!
Written by Dredscythe.
Reviewed by Raxxanterax, Rob.
Article updated from the Open Beta Version of Diablo 4.